We continue our quest to explore all the exercises in the Pilates matwork series. The Kneeling Side Kicks is an excellent sequence for core and hip strength. This exercise challenges your balance and tones the abdominals. It is the side kick series on steroids!
- Begin in an upright, kneeling position; face the long edge of your mat
- Reach both arms long, wall to wall, and begin to float the left arm down to the earth while lifting the right leg long
- Keeping your trunk stable, carry the leg forward toward your face. Do not allow the ribs to protrude. Keep the stabilizing knee and foot on the mat in a strong, neutral position.
- Draw the leg behind you, in the reverse of the front kick, without distending the belly. The hips press forward. Repeat 2-3 times.
- You can add leg lifts, leg circles, or any variation to sustain and strengthen the position of the hips and core. Keep working to lift the leg parallel to the floor and ceiling! I should have more lift than what is pictured! :) Always a challenge.