Benefits of Foam Rolling
- Tension affects our mind, connective tissues, nervous and digestive systems and negatively affects our health. Movement/foam rolling reduces tension at the level of the central nervous system.
- Restores healthy alignment necessary for proper strengthening. Restoring and releasing tight muscles prior to exercise will improve outcomes and decrease risk of injury.
- Stimulates the vagus nerve; cranial nerve 10. This allows us to be more relaxed and function within the parasympathetic nervous system, the "rest and digest" mode rather than "fight or flight."
- When vagal tone is strong, we are less likely to overeat; digestion is improved. Long, slow exhale is one of the keys to increasing vagal tone.
- Restores healthy fascia which is crucial to quality and ease of movement.
- Cleans out the "cobwebs" allowing muscles to more easily glide and slide.
- Provide core training challenges.