Today, using our Pilates in Motion text by Alycea Ungaro, we continue our deep-dive into the Beginner/Intermediate Pilates series with Spine Stretch Forward.
- Spine Stretch Forward:
- This movement opens the muscles of the lower back.
- In addition it is a breathing exercise focusing on expansion and lift of the rib cage.
- The low belly is constantly pulling back as you reach forward. Resist slumping down or hinging forward at the hips and allow the head to hang loosely down at the bottom of the stretch. (Ungaro, 60-61)
- Open Leg Rocker:
- Like a number of Pilates exercises, this one challenges balance, hamstring flexibility and strength.
- Focus on maintaining a constant shape as your rock.
- You may find it necessary to keep your knees slightly bent.
- Never roll onto the neck; move from your center and just rock to the tips of the shoulder blades. (Ungaro, 80-83)